Confessions of Investments from an Almost 30-year-old

Writing after so long. I don’t know why really. But just recent events have led me to really make some good contributions to society, you know in general.


1.     Invest in a good mattress.
Oh man! No not what you are thinking. When you are almost thirty, your body is no longer young. I feel it now. It doesn’t recover as fast as it used to. You can no longer stay up till 5 am and wake up at 8 am. You just no longer can do that. Good night sleep is essential. I just recently took a very bad fall on the streets on NYC and landed on my dierair  and my phone. Cracked the phone screen and the back. Now I understand why the guy at Sleepy’s told me, “Ma’am don’t buy the cheapest mattress, you will regret it” At the time I thought the guy was trying to get a bigger commission, and present a good sales pitch. Girl, now I know it wasn’t about the money.

2.     Invest in understanding one drink that you would like to have
At almost thirty I just don’t have the energy to go all out nights anymore. You need to know one drink that would keep you happy till about 11.30 and get yourself back without having to have your friends carry you back home. Whether is a matinee, a glass of wine, or a type of a beer, have one kind that you order at the bar without hogging on to the menu for half hour.

3.     Invest in a good learning
You know how we all have the mothers and the aunts that say “Invest in your education. That’s only thing you have in the end.” This is so true to an extent. At almost thirty, and you realize learning in school is not the only learning. Whether its general news, or weird books you find on the streets read them all. This truly does give you a weird sense of understanding of different perspectives and sense of judgement to walk away from conversations that are worthless. Also, its great conversation topics.

4.     Invest in a good pair of every occasion shoes
When I say good pair of shoes, I don’t mean super luxury. I mean something you can wear to every freaking occasion, whether an outing, an interview, just to class, who cares. When I am running to the train, I don’t want to have to spend more than 30 seconds to figure out my shoes. At almost thirty got no time.

5.     Invest in good friends
You no longer have the need to be the most popular. You just want a sense of comfort when you go out to dinner or for a movie. No need to impress, to dress nice, to say the right things. Just to be blah.

6.     Invest in Lingerie
 Sometimes you just need good lingerie. Not show anyone else, but just for yourself (and not to show any panty lines). The last thing you want to do is to have to go commando in a white skirt to work at thirty. I mean, I just can’t even.

7.     Invest in Being Secure
  Learning to say no, walk away, tune out without regret. As you get older, you lose patience and learn to not care. You no longer have the need to engage in meaningless conversations, pretend to be interested, do things that you don’t want to do, to prove a point and to make a stand. Life is too short. But it doesn’t mean you have piss people off. Learn away to move away and still have no drama.

And most of all at almost thirty I hope we can learn to invest in happiness. To come home with a smile, go to bed in peace, knowing that when I wake up I would no longer have the need to re calculate who is on my hit list for tomorrow. That’s all I want at thirty.














Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Who decides "Ugly"?

Suit pants and long hours

No, I dont know!